How serious are slip and fall accidents? It depends. Seniors have lost their independence as a result of slips and falls. Yet even a younger adult can suffer spinal or head injuries after one of these accidents. Some of those injuries result in chronic, lifelong pain. Injury Lawyer of Edmonton can help you getting compensation for any injuries due to slip and fall accidents. We have the most experienced slip and fall accident lawyers who are highly capable of negotiating to achieve the compensation you deserve.
In fact, falls are the leading cause of hospitalization for everyone: adults, seniors, and children alike. Take them seriously, because they aren’t just simple, everyday occurrences.
While anyone can be a little clumsy, some slip and fall accidents are the result of negligence. The owner of any property you visit has a duty of care to ensure that the property is safe. Here are some examples of unsafe conditions that have caused slip and fall injuries in the past:
- A property owner is responsible for shoveling and salting a sidewalk in winter but fails to do so. A pedestrian slips and falls on the ice.
- A grocery store is responsible for posting wet floor signs to warn customers about potential slip hazards. They fail to do so, and an elderly shopper breaks her hip.
- An apartment manager fails to replace a loose stair railing. A tenant grips the railing to get up the stairs, only to fall when it fails.
These are just some of the many examples. In each case, someone has failed in their responsibility to either repair a hazardous condition or to post a warning.
If this has happened to you, then you deserve compensation. Slip and fall accidents can create major expenses in your life. These include:
- Medical bills that Medicare won’t cover, such as physical therapy bills, or dental reconstruction bills.
- A loss of income or earning capacity if chronic pain or severe injury prevents you from working.
- The need to seek home care services if the slip and fall rob you of your independence.
- Compensation for the pain and suffering you shouldn’t have to go through and are only facing because someone else was irresponsible.
While these cases seem like they should be straightforward they are often anything but. The property owner’s insurance company is usually the one responsible for paying these claims. They have teams of lawyers devoted to crafting the kinds of defenses that are effective in these cases. For example, they may try to claim that:
- The property owner didn’t have a reasonable amount of time to learn about the hazard and so can’t be held accountable for failing to fix it.
- That you were aware of the risk and chose to take it anyway, or somehow took some action that contributed to your loss.
- That you failed to mitigate your loss by taking or failing to take certain actions after the fall.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident be careful what you say. Don’t take any responsibility in the spoken or written word. Be careful about taking any offered settlements without speaking to a lawyer. These are often much smaller than the settlements you’d otherwise be entitled to and are offered to you primarily to prevent you from suing you for a larger amount.
Ideally, you’ll speak to a lawyer as quickly as possible after your fall after obtaining the necessary emergency care.
Our team is full of an experienced slip and fall lawyers committed to helping our clients win their cases. You don’t need any money down to get started because we don’t get paid until you do. Call (780) 413-9777 to schedule your consultation today. We’re ready to help you get justice.